Session Log: Vocals
8/5/24
To capture the vocals I utilised the intended Neumann U87 in cardioid mode, with an added pop shield to reduce sibilance and plosives (figure 1). I sang 7 inches away from the microphone as planned (figure 2)
Figure 1: Mic and pop shield setup in the vocal booth.
Figure 2: Singer distance from the microphone.
Once recorded both vocal tracks were bussed out of Pro Tools into a Neve 1073LB EQ and Dl441 compressor before returning on new tracks (figure 3).
Figure 3: Routing order for the session.
The EQ is quite subtle however, misreading the unit I improperly boosting at 80Hz whilst correctly boosting the highs at around 5kHz (figure 4) I later applied F6-RTA plugin EQ within my DAW to make more substantial changes fixing my mistakes, engaging a slight cut at 15kHz to make room for the hi-hats, a high pass below 125Hz cutting out unwanted rumble and a subtle reduction at around 750Hz - 1.5kHz to reduce some nasally frequencies (figure 5).
Figure 4: EQ settings used on the Neve EQ.
Figure 5: settings used in the F6-RTA plugin.
The DL441 compressor applied directly after the Neve EQ is quite subtle, just tickling the vocals with a moderate ratio of 2:1 that dabs the tracks with a low threshold of around -4 (figure 6).
Figure 6: settings used on the DL441 compressor.
Post recording within my DAW I applied some subtle reverb using H-Reverb to add a little room to the sound (figure 7).
Figure 7: Reverb settings applied to vocals post recording.
Overall I feel the vocals came out ok, the mic usage and placement creates a clear and crisp recording and went as planned, the compressor makes nice subtle changes.
I feel however, that similarly to the clavinet session, the use of the Neve EQ was poor and insubstantial due to my lack of reading the adjustments properly. I feel the F6-RTA EQ fortunately saves the tracks.
hehehehe
ReplyDelete