Session Log: Synth


8/5/24

For this session I prepared a midi track for the Korg - Radius (figure 1). The midi was sent out of Pro Tools to the rack synth via an M-Audi midi port (figure 2).



Figure 1: Midi track prepared in advance.


Figure 2: Midi port used to send midi information out of Pro Tools to the synth.


On the synth I used a Moog bass style pre-set titled 'Mogalog bass' (figure 3) the synth output was then routed in stereo through DL441 compressors (figure 4).



Figure 3: pre-set sound used on the Korg - Radius


Figure 4: Routing chain for the session.


When compressing I used a weaker ratio of around 2:1 as apposed to the 4:1 I originally planned due to the sound not needing a high ratio I feel. A fairly moderate threshold was used keeping the dynamics consistent (figure 5). After the compressor the synth was routed to a single stereo track in Pro Tools (figure 4)





In my DAW post recording I applied an EQ reducing unwanted higher frequencies beyond 2kHz leaving room for the Clavinet and vocals with a cut in the lows below 60Hz leaving room for the kick (figure 6).



Figure 6: EQ applied to the synth bass within my DAW.


Reflection:

I believe this session went quite well, it provided a unique way of capturing a midi instrument whilst still utilising effective outboard gear tools and digital plugins to create an overall clean and complementary sound for the mix with no major issues encountered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Evaluation and Conclusion

Initial stem and reference track choices