Drum Micking Choices

 

23/4/24

Previously, I've examined an article by Eat Sleep Drums (2016) that recreated the drums from 'Superstition' (1972). The article was useful however, I later learned that they used one extra mic than the original.

I'm not including a dedicated snare mic as I'm limiting myself to 16 tracks mimicing the production of 'Superstition' (1972). Eat Sleep Drums (2016) suggests the use of a hyper cardioid mic being placed "over the floor tom and ride cymbal and aimed directly at the snare." which will help capture the snare. Liveabout Dotcom's article (2019) supports this plan by clarifying that 'Superstition' (1972) only has mics for "kick, overhead left (including hi-hat), and overhead right (including ride cymbal".

I do not have access to the mics suggested by Eat Sleep Drums (2016) So I have found the closest equivalents from the University's resources, notably replacing the ribbons with condenser alternatives.

To Replace the Electro-voice RE-20 I'm using A Sennheiser MD421-II also a cardioid dynamic, it shares a similar frequency response to the RE-20 (as seen below) with a static low-mid response and a slight punch at around 5-10k Hz. 


Frequency response of a Sennheiser MD421-II.


Frequency response of an Electro-Voice RE-20.


These are not typical drum mics so as a backup, I'm bringing a Senheiser e602 ii an actual kick mic that has a frequency response with a lot more weight, it's low response reflecting this, as well as the 5-10k Hz boost.


Frequency response of a Sennheiser e602 ii.


To replace the Royer Labs R-121 Ribbon microphone over the hi-hat I'm using a Sennheiser MKH 30-P48 condenser with a bidirectional pickup pattern to capture some room a concept presented by Eat Sleep Drums (2016) "because of the figure 8 polar pattern on the 121 we're treating this almost as a glorified room mic" as seen below they have similar frequency responses, the P48 has a slightly smoother response however.


Frequency response of a Sennheiser MKH 30-P48.



Frequency Response of a Royer Labs R-
121.


In place of the Beyerdynamic m160 I will be using the AKG C451 B. It has a cardioid pickup pattern which although not matching the hyper cardioid pickup of the m160 I can still focus it on the snare whilst still capturing the cymbal. They share a similar even frequency response.


Frequency response of a AKG C451 B.


Frequency response of a Beyerdynamic m160 (specifically focusing on the 1m distance response as this is used as an overhead)


Bibliography:

Recording Hacks, MM., Date Unknown. Electro-Voice RE-20. Recordinghacks.com. Available from: http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Electro-Voice/RE20 [Accessed 23 April 2024] 

Recording Hacks, MM., Date Unknown. Senheiser MD421-II. Recordinghacks.com. Available from: http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Sennheiser/MD-421 [Accessed 23 April 2024]

Recording Hacks, MM., Date Unknown. AKG C451b. Recordinghacks.com. Available from: http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/AKG-Acoustics/C-451-B [Accessed 23 April 2024]

Music Factory Direct, Date Unknown. Sennheiser Evolution e602 II Bass Drum Low Frequency Microphone. Melbourne, Bayswater: Music Factory Direct. Available from: https://www.musicfactorydirect.com.au/Sennheiser-Evolution-E602-II-Low-Frequency-Microphone-.html [Accessed 23 April 2024]

SoundPure, Date Unknown. Sennheiser MKH 30-P48 Figure 8 Condenser Microphone. North Carolina, Durham: Sound Pure LLC. Available from: https://www.soundpure.com/p/sennheiser-mkh30-figure-8-microphone/729 [Accessed 23 April 2024]

Recording Hacks, MM., Date Unknown. Beyerdynamic M160. Recordinghacks.com. Available from: http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/beyerdynamic/M-160 [Accessed 23 April 2024]

Liveabout Dotcom, JS., 2019. Mixing Stevie Wonders "Superstition". New York, New York City: Dotdash Meredith. Available from: https://www.liveabout.com/mixing-stevie-wonders-superstition-1817747 [Accessed 23 April 2024]

Eat Sleep Drums, 2016. Recording Stevie Wonder's 'Superstition'. Eatsleepdrums. Available from: https://www.eatsleepdrums.com/blogs/eatsleepdrums--3/posts/4107175/saturday-26th-march-2016-recording-stevie-wonder-s-superstition [Accessed 23 April 2024]

Royer Labs, Date Unknown. Model R-121 [Manual]. California, Burbank: ROYER Labs. Unpublished




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Evaluation and Conclusion

Session Log: Synth

Initial stem and reference track choices